Get Email Updates
|Home > About Us|
More information for prospective board members
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Board Opportunity!
Perhaps you participated in marches, contacted legislators, and donated to some choice progressive causes that protect our rights and freedoms, but want to do more?
If you would like an opportunity to channel your desire to make a real difference for women and families in Washington State, NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is seeking volunteer board members from all four corners of the state who are passionate about reproductive freedom and recognize that every woman should be able to make personal decisions about – and have access to – the full range of reproductive health options.
Pro-Choice Washington is 100% supporter funded, making us uniquely positioned as the "left flank” of the pro-choice movement. We are able to take strong political positions and use our power to lift up true pro-choice champion lawmakers and hold our opposition accountable. We represent our members and organize them to demand that reproductive freedom is a priority for their elected officials.
How we do it: We achieve our goals through grassroots mobilization, legislative advocacy, public education, endorsing pro-choice candidates and supporting their electoral campaigns.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
Structurally, NARAL Pro-Choice Washington encompasses three organizations: NARAL Pro-Choice Washington, 501-(c)(4), the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America, NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Foundation, 501-(c)(3), and NARAL Pro-Choice Washington State Political Action Committee (PAC).
The role of the board of directors:
The Board of Directors of NARAL Pro–Choice Washington is responsible for the governance of the organization consistent with its tax-exempt status and mission.
Specific Responsibilities of the Board
• Ensure the organization conducts its activities in a manner consistent with its tax-exempt purpose and mission
• Ensure that adequate resources are provided to carry out the mission and programs of the organization
• Set policy, priorities and long term plans for the organization
• Approve the organization’s major commitments and annual budget
• Accept fiscal and legal liability for the affiliate organization
• Ensure continuation of a strong responsible Board
• Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies
• Hire and provide oversight of the Executive Director
Individual Board Members Responsibilities
• Serve on the Board for a term of 2 years (Board members can serve up to 4 consecutive terms)
• Be informed about the organization’s mission, services and programs
• Attend regularly scheduled Board meetings and retreats
• Review and approve the organization’s financial statements and budgets
• Serve on at least one committee of the organization
• Make an annual contribution to the organization at a level that is a stretch, personally significant and meaningful Solicit contributions and support on behalf of the organization. We have a modest give/get minimum of $1,000
• Attend and bring guests to NARAL’s major events (2 per year)
• Be an advocate/ambassador for the organization
• Encourage prospective donors to make gifts to NARAL Pro-Choice Washington
Time Commitment – We ask that each board member plan to spend approximately 5-8 hours a month, depending on the time of year and number of committees serving on. These activities include attending Board meetings, attending Committee meeting(s), fundraising, attending/recruiting attendees for NARAL events, and working on NARAL projects related to the work of the Board of Directors and Committee(s).
• Monthly board meetings are on the 4th Monday from 6-8 PM (note that some meetings will be over conference call)
• Retreats occur once a year, with an additional half-day retreat if needed.
If you are ready to work for Washington State women and families in a high impact and strategic way, please submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7, 2017.
If you have any questions please contact Tiffany Hankins at TiffanyHankins@prochoicewashington.org.