|Home > About Us|
Pregnant? Need Help?
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is an advocacy organization. We do not provide reproductive health services or abortion referrals.
If you are or think you are facing an unintended pregnancy, it is important that you talk about your feelings and emotions with someone you trust, be that a family member; a close friend; or a member of the clergy. It is also important that you consult a member of the medical profession to discuss your options and what would be best for you and your health.
Know Your Rights
- There are no waiting periods required before a woman can receive an abortion in Washington State.
- Women under the age of 18 have the right to confidential reproductive health services in Washington State. A minor is not legally required to inform her parents or get their permission in order to receive any reproductive health services including contraception and abortion.
- Hospital Emergency Rooms in Washington are required by law to provide emergency contraception to women who have been raped or sexually assaulted.
- In Washington State low-income women can receive free family planning services by enrolling in the Take Charge program.
If your income is 185% of the federal poverty level or less ($2,247 per month or less for a single pregnant woman), follow these steps to obtain a free and confidential abortion:
- Call the Family Planning Hotline at 1-800-770-4334 to find the location of your local Community Service Office (CSO) and where to get a free pregnancy test. Also ask the representative for your "First Steps” paperwork.
- Get your free pregnancy test. NOTE: Many anti-choice "Crisis Pregnancy Centers" advertise free pregnancy testing, however they are likely to refuse to provide proof or your results to you or to your caseworker. These centers often list themselves under "abortion alternatives" in the yellow pages. It is a good idea to specifically ask if a center provides proof of pregnancy for DSHS before setting up an appointment or going to a center.
- Bring proof of your pregnancy test, proof of your social security number and a recent pay stub from a job (if you have one) to the CSO to get coupons for your abortion procedure.
- The CSO caseworker will give you a list of clinics and help you make an appointment for your abortion procedure.
- If you are covered by your parents’ insurance but want confidentiality, tell the caseworker and you will still be able to receive coupons for your abortion procedure.
- You have the right to an interpreter if English is not your first language.
- If you need a ride to a clinic or a place to stay after your procedure contact NARAL Pro-Choice Washington’s Abortion Access Network at least 24 hours in advance.
Abortion Access Network
If you need a ride to a clinic or a place to stay after your procedure, please contact NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Foundation’s Abortion Access Network at (206) 624-1990.
If you need more information or help finding a reproductive health care provider, click here.